Herman Verveld, Director SBDA: '‘The new concepts that HZPC have developed for the entire potato chain have been progressed to the cusp of the market in the past year. Our potato product Woksi® will soon go into production. Healthy fries from the joint development concept Fries4All will be introduced into supermarkets on a large scale next year.'
a good potato’
Herman Verveld, Director SBDA
'HZPC has also been successful in the development and marketing of technical products that are used by our partners in the potato chain. Devices supplied by our subsidiary Solentum are used across the board by the industry, from growing to quality control.
Substantial and relatively new markets are sometimes unpredictable. Projects in Russia, Central Africa and China are developing well, but our joint venture with Mahindra in India has been through a very challenging year. We can put this down to incidental market factors. HZPC has every faith in the enormous potential of the explosive growth in the market in India. ‘There’s no curry without a good potato.’
OPPORTUNITIES IN THE USA AND CANADA
HZPC is on top of trends in North America:
- Food-service and blurring in particular (i.e. far-reaching integration of retail and food-service) is booming
- There is a demand for different, new products
- There is a demand for convenience, lifestyle and healthy concepts
- The further development of online ordering and delivery using new technologies (smartphone, delivery by drone and robots, as used by Domino’s Pizza, for example).
MARKETS WITH ENORMOUS POTENTIAL
- Huge demand for French fries
- McDonald’s: aim is to open two new restaurants per day
- Aim of the Chinese government is to increase potato consumption from 45 kg per person per year to 65 kg
- Need for greater diversification in terms of potato varieties
SUCCESSFUL VARIETIES IN CHINA
Innovator and Ivory Russet for the french fries market
Lucinda, Colomba and Sylvana for the fresh market
- The population is set to overtake that of China by about 2040
- Consumption per person will double from 20 to 40 kg per person
- Compared to rice growing, the limited water consumption for potato growing is a crucial advantage
- Potatoes are the perfect ingredient for curry
- There is an increasing demand for healthy food here too
ALONGSIDE INNOVATOR, INTRODUCTION OF THE FOLLOWING SIX HZPC VARIETIES IN INDIA:
Panamera, Colomba, Taurus (crisps)
Ivory Russet, Memphis, Sagitta
HZPC IS DEVELOPING DEVICES FOR THE ENTIRE POTATO CHAIN
SolGrader® Monitoring growth and harvest
SolAntenna® Monitoring quality growth and storage
SolEye® Process control for colour in the industry and packaging
- Healthy French fries
- Use of air frying (hot air technique) but with the emphasis on great flavour (nice and crispy with a fresh, rounded potato flavour)
- 30% reduction in calories
- 40% reduction in carbohydrates
- 30% reduction in fat.
Concept from HZPC and two partners. In spring 2019, this will be introduced on a large-scale into supermarkets.
- New potato meals that fulfil consumer demands: Enjoyment (flavour); Health; Convenience; Fun; Variation
- Tasty potato pasta, with a ‘bite’
- Potato alternative for pasta, rice and noodles
- Maximum 3 minutes in the wok, but also suitable for use in cold salads
A concept from HZPC and Kiremko. With two clients in Europe, the product is currently being tested. Quick to move into production.